Monday, August 31, 2009

Freecycle

Today I wanted to share one of my favorite resources for relocating the items I clear out of my clients' personal spaces: Freecycle.org.

The group's home page explains their purpose better than I could, so here it is:
The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,800 groups with 7,200,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who
are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about
reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated
by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free.

Freecycle is easy to use. Just go to Freecycle.org and put the name of your hometown in the search box. The site will bring up a list of close matches and you select your city. If your city doesn't come up, consider starting a group. Odds are, someone besides you could use the service in your area.

Each group has a different application process. Mine uses Yahoo!, so I just sign in with my Yahoo! ID.

Be sure to read the guidelines set forth in your particular group. They will be helpful in knowing how to post the items you no longer want and how to reply to posts for items you want (best to do more of the former than the latter if you're trying to declutter).

One of my favorite things about Freecycle is that no matter what item you have, there's likely to be someone who wants or needs it. I have given away clothes, toys, kitchen items, puzzles, decorations and even broken items. If you have been to my website and looked at my photo albums, you might be interested to know that everything taken out of closet A was given away on Freecycle and was gone within hours.

Go check out Freecycle and let me know you're favorite feature of the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment